Thursday, January 6, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss - Review

First of all, I LOVED THIS BOOK. I have not found a contemporary romance so compelling in a long while. The characters are complex, but the author slowly builds a layered picture of all thier underlying motivations, even the unconscious ones that compete with what they know they should do. Not to mention that the relationship between Etienne and Anna is sexy and realistic and full of delicious tension. Even apart from the romantic aspects though, this story was just so well-written. Paris was more than just a romantic backdrop, it was a character.

My one hick-up with this was it's title--Anna and the French Kiss--it makes it sound so fluffy and kinda cheesy, but this book was so much more than that! Paris was a real place, full of culture, and landmarks and, I don't know how to describe it other than to say it had a real sense of place. Perkins made it come alive instead of doing what so many others have done with location-based novels. It's great the way Anna gets to know the city slowly, the culture shock she goes through, and the way she slowly develops a relationship with Paris itself. So, so good. It's the first book I've read in 2011, and I think that it's one that will stick with me and end up in next year's top ten list! Four stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment