Saturday, July 16, 2011

Life got ya down? Read a book!

I hadn't read a book in two months before yesterday. I've always been an avid reader, so this was quite strange for me, symptomatic of other difficult life things going on. But I started reading yesterday afternoon and haven't stopped yet. I'm on my third book, and after having no desire to read for so long, it feels like a rush of energy and life. And each of the books I'm reading is so GOOD!! Look for some glowing reviews to come! Each of these are Advanced Readers Copies, coming out later this year, except for The Girl In The Steel Corset, on shelves now!

Drink Slay Love. by Sarah Beth Durst. This book is as wonderfully tongue in cheek as the title suggests, delightfully self-mocking the vampire lit genre it participates in while also providing such a great, well-told story. Pearl's journey of awakening to having a soul works well along-side the humor--the story was fun as well as poignant.
 Goliath by Scott Westerfeld. The master of storytelling at work again! Seriously, I said it of the first two books in the series and I say it again: reading Westerfeld is like taking a master class in good storytelling. The steampunk world he creates is SO intricate, SO complex, and SO perfectly executed. Alex and Deryn's story comes to an exciting climax in this end of the trilogy!!!
Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross. Also steampunk, but of a completely different variety than the one above. This has a delicious paranormal flavor. I'm only about 5 chapters in, but I can already tell from the break-neck pace of the beginning, excellent characterization, and already-intriguing romance, that I'm going to love this book :)

3 comments:

  1. The Girl in the Steel Corset is already out... isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *slaps forehead* Yes, it IS out, you're totally right, I'm just reading an older ARC and didn't check!!

    ReplyDelete