Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Girl in the Steel Corset REVIEW

So I've been raving all over the place about how much I loved The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross and thought I'd give it a proper review :)

This novel reinforces my love of this steampunk wave that's hitting YA. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare was one of my favorite reads last year, and this series by Kady Cross has started off just as delightfully and well deserves the comparison.

The part of the book that sticks with me most is the way Finley has to work to bring the two divided parts of her personality, light and dark, into harmony. This is just such a powerful metaphor! Like Darth Vader or Ged from LeGuin's The Wizard of Earthsea, peace is only achieved when balance is attained--neither dark or light can be entirely ignored or sublimated. Instead, both are embraced. So beautifully done by Cross in this novel. It will leave you thinking long after you finish the book.

And the second aspect that cinched the awesomeness of this novel? Perfectly timed romance and plenty of butt-kicking action! Strong heroines FTW!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks! It's always so cool when a peer likes my work. And from the sounds of Glitch, I'm going to like yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kady :) I can't wait for book 2 to see what happens to Finley and the gang next, I'm so stoked about this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cover for the novel too!

    ReplyDelete