Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney, Review

The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney. First of all, can we just bask in the gorgeousness that is this cover? It's even better and person, with the script filigree all shiny and raised over the matte background, I'm so cover-lusting!

As soon as I learned the premise of this book, I was hooked: it's pretty common knowledge that in the fey mythology, iron is deadly to faeries, and the premise that this girl had iron tattoos woven magically into her skin?! And that a sexy fey boy is involved? Couldn't wait, and I finally got this book at my closing Borders this week, and totally devoured it tonight in one sitting.

This book had all the things I love in a good story: a real romantic connection, the supernatural, and a slowly revealed mythology that comes to a kick-ass climax at the end, bringing elements that begin the story to a close with satisfying symmetry. I also liked that Donna was so strong, literally and figuratively. Even just the paradoxical idea of iron, something we think of as brute and burly, being woven in delicate tattoos on a girl's forearms, is a striking image. Not to mention that I love a girl who can hold her own, even rescue the DUDE once in awhile. A nice break from damsels in distress, I'm excited to see where this series goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment