Friday, August 19, 2011

The Week of Whack

This week I moved from Texas to Minnesota, from a smallish college town to right smack in the middle of the city, and oh yeah, I had some health problems hit the day before I left that made everything more... interesting. My brother helped me roadtrip up from Texas, he left yesterday, and today was the first day of being alone in a new city. By myself. It's both stressful and so amazing I can't put it into words.
I do believe this place will become my new haunt: Seward Cafe, part of what appears to be a large community co-op. There's this amazing grocery store too that's part of the co-op. Super cool, lots of hipsters inside with great hair and tattoos, chilled out atmosphere, they discourage cell-phone use and there's no wifi. Sometimes it's nice to go analog, old school, and watch the squirrels and birds in the garden out back, read a book and write in your journal instead of on the computer. And the food: to frickin' die for. I had an omelet this morning that seriously made me want to lick the friggin' plate!!!!

It's a place that will be ideal for writing I think. No distractions. Lots of peace and quiet. Greenery. I caught some peace there this morning, sitting quietly for a few hours, drinking bottomless coffee from those fabulous thick diner cups. Catching back up with myself that had been all whack during the moving week.

Muscles I didn't know I had are sore from moving stuff around in the apartment. I'm setting up this great nook in my apartment, lazy-boy chair right by the window with this gorgeous view from my 13th floor. I look around this still pretty empty room and think: "huh, when I say home now, I mean this place. this strange place in the middle of a city. this place that feels like I'm just visiting will become home."

The world is whacky. Here's to embracing my new corner in it.

View from my bedroom window, crapo quality b/c I don't have a camera right now, just my web-cam camera! and my crazy-ball hair framing on the right side :-)

1 comment:

  1. Looks so green and invigorating, Heather! And Seward's looks perfect for a writing haunt. May you find much joy at your new home!

    ReplyDelete