Wednesday, August 10, 2011

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose REVIEW

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

This book is so beautiful. It’s the kind of book I would have loved when I was a tween (is that the term now? I’m so old, lol)—it’s got an intensity and seriousness to it, but it’s still so accessible. I’ve never read a novel in verse before and wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it. I wondered if it would slow down my reading. Instead though, I think it made it swifter, while at the same time, some of the line breaks would add punch to thoughts, descriptions, or emotions.

This story is intense, un-put-down-able. This book enters loneliness and darkness and hope in ways that are just almost heart-stopping. Though set in the past, it’s one of those books that feel universal, that grabs you with its raw language, stark images, and-- even though it’s set in the middle of nowhere--it still has incredible momentum and tension.

May B. debuts January 2012 (Schwartz and Wade/Random House Children's Books). My thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this ARC.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, you have no idea what this means to me (Or maybe you do? Or will soon?). Thank you. I have drawn so much strength from this child (and yes, she's real -- at least to me). She has taught me about bravery and hope. So glad she spoke to you, too.

    And I'm thrilled May was your introduction to verse! A little secret: I only read two verse novels before writing this. Shh! Don't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely did not see this on NetGalley last time I checked! I hope it's still there; otherwise, I'll have to wait!

    ReplyDelete