Friday, January 20, 2012

On Copyedits & Coming to the End

I'm almost done with copyedits. Which means, this book is finished. Like finished finished. It's another first, having brought a book through all these edits and getting it so completely polished. All that's left are First Pass Pages, and then it will be out in ARCs, and into reader's hands.

It's been quite a strange feeling, actually. I've made some bigger changes in the copyedits stage than just grammar things, but I know this is the last chance. As a writer, you can always keep perfecting, keep tweaking and changing things. But it doesn't matter, because the book will come out and it is final. So that's, you know, scary!

At the same time I'm excited to move on. I want to get back to drafting again, working on book 3. Editing can feel kind of non-productive, rehashing over the same words, cutting and re-writing small bits--but it's nothing compared to the adrenaline and pure creation stage of drafting.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the edits! I know what you mean that editing can feel non-productive. Sometimes it feels like you're just running in circles with it... I LOVE the cover by the way! Don't think I've said that yet. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading all of these posts backwards, but you must be absolutely thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete