Sunday, November 27, 2011

Am I a Grown Up Writer Yet?

So, as I edit this dry bones draft, I started another document called "Emotional Big Ideas" in which I write scenes, throughout the day (or the middle of the night) about the emotional zingers--scenes that help me see clearly who my characters are and what they want. I don't know exactly where the scenes will go, or if they'll even make the cut when I start pasting things into the new draft, but it's so helpful to start to get a real feel for who my characters are. This side document is now 40 pages long.

I never used to understand when writers would talk about all the pre-writing and extra character development writing that wasn't actually part of the draft. I'd think: all that wasted time! those wasted pages!

Yeah, I'm finally getting the idea.  Does this mean I'm getting to be a Grown Up Writer? Lol, we'll see, my lovelies, we'll see. Meanwhile, I listen to Florence + The Machine's sophmore album, and am inspired.

2 comments:

  1. The other night when I got stuck, I just journaled a bit about what my characters wanted. It was really helpful!

    I love the new F+tM album! Isn't it brilliant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new Florence + the Machine album is so awesome! I'm like, DANG, way to follow up a killer first album. Now let's hope my sophmore effort can work half so well ;)

    ReplyDelete