I have been hermited away writing incessantly for most of the Spring, but I finally turned in a new draft of book 2 in the Glitch trilogy!!!! Here's the rewrite by the numbers:
- How long it took to rewrite 75% of the book: 6 1/2 weeks- Word count of new draft: 76,375
- Pages of deleted material for this draft alone, including first failed rewrite idea: 98
- Pages of deleted material overall for all drafts of book 2 thus far: over 300
- Number of times I left the house in the past month: 7
- Inches of roots grown out since I last dyed my hair: 2
- Amount of times I wanted to pull out all of the aforementioned hair because the draft was driving me crazy: too numerous to count
Conclusion: Writing book two is a beast. Most writers will say it, but I didn't quite believe them until I experienced it myself. I have never had so much difficulty or faced so many misteps before. However! While I'm sure there's still lots to tackle and smooth out in edits, I feel like I've gotten out a good, solid draft.
Now it's time to take care of all the things that fell by the wayside over the past few weeks. Like all those unanswered emails. And the mountain of laundry. And working on book 3, which is also due soon.
Then again, maybe I'll just take the rest of the afternoon off and catch up on The Vampire Diaries ;)